I have some leftover pork & beef meat from the weekend, so today I am going to make Indonesian Meat & Veg Easy Stir Fry. Really, you can mix with most veggies that you happen to have in hand. For this recipe, I mix it with Lady Fingers/ Okra and Red Bell pepper.
What makes it an Indonesian stir fry is the combination of the paste; which are shallots, garlic, dried shrimp paste, chillies, and soy sauce. If you have sweet soysauce or what we call Kecap Manis, it is even better. But for this recipe, I use a regular soy sauce and use sugar to taste.
If you never cook with dried shrimp paste, the smell might come as a shock for you. But fear not, when you cook it, it turns out to be very fragrant and flavorful. I even suggest you to turn on your exhaust fan and/or open the window. 😀
Today I use my Cell phone to take the picture, and well….they do not turn that sharp. Sorry….I will be back with my Nikon next time. 🙂
So here we go:
• Handful of leftover meat
• Handful of Lady Fingers/ Okra
• 1 red bell pepper
• 2 tbsp soy sauce
• 4 tbsp oil
• Sugar & salt to taste; you can omit sugar if you use Kecap Manis
• 6 shallots
• 4 garlic
• 6 red chillies
• 1 tsp dried shrimp paste
1. Grind the paste ingredients using a pestle. But you can also just slice them thinly, which is what I do this time around.
2. Heat the wok, and add oil. Cook the paste until fragrant.
3. Add the meat.
4. Add the vegetables; for okra, cover the wok and steam cook to soften them.
5. Add the soy sauce, sugar, and salt to taste. Cook briefly.
6. Serve immediately with a bowl of rice.